Monday, February 23, 2009

What Are You Reading?

Winter is a great season for reading.  It's hard to stay outside for too long with the cold blasts of arctic air and the thick snow and ice, so staying inside by a warm fire with a book can be a great experience.

So what have the library staff been reading lately?

I (Dan) have been reading The Best American Short Stories, 2007.  Yes, I know I'm a little behind, but I'm almost finished with it.  It's an excellent collection of short stories and I attribute part of that to the guest editor, Stephen King.  He picked out a few real gems for this edition.  I thoroughly enjoy having a collection of short stories or essays around at all times.  They give you a variety of ideas and narratives to think about, but they are also helpful for when you only have 30 minutes to read something.  Collections of stories and essays are also a great way to discover new authors too.  I've picked up many new books by fresh authors after finishing a short story.

Megan, our Access and Instruction Librarian, has been reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.  She has this to say about it:

"I picked it up because I enjoyed his other novel, The Kite Runner, and my friends and family have been bugging me to read this one too so we can talk about it. So far, I’m liking it even more than The Kite Runner because it focuses on a female perspective of life in Afghanistan. The novel made me curious about the state of women’s rights in Afghanistan, so I learned more here. So far in my reading, nothing too terrible has happened yet, but there’s a definite sense of impending doom…"

So now that we've shared something with you, what can you share with us?  What have you been reading lately?  Leave us a comment to let us know.

No comments: